1. I was born two days before Christmas and I completely understand what it means to have a birthday that close to Christmas. I will be thirty-nine this month, but I don’t feel a day over twenty-nine. *wink wink
2. I did not become a Christian until I was twenty-three…. so yeah, I know what it’s like to not live like one, and I have done some pretty rough things in my past.
3. Because I have a history of doing those ‘things’ in my past, and I have been saved by the grace of God, I have a deep level of compassion for people who can’t get their crap together. I can’t stand bullying or people being mean just to be mean. I am probably what you would call a modern day hippie. I would love to be a modern day Robin Hood and bring justice to all those who are screwed by other people on a daily basis. Maybe I could bring my bow and arrows with me everywhere. 😉
4. Number three is what makes me a people pleaser. I am a people pleaser to a fault and have a hard time telling people no. I am learning this is not always a good thing and that I need to start setting boundaries.
5. I grew up in Michigan and spent thirty-four years there. I will always love that state, even if their winters are way too long which is why we moved to Kentucky. And now I love Kentucky too.
6. I have a passion for studying scripture and have often thought that I love studying it enough that I could go to a Bible college to get a degree in it. I don’t tell many people that. I love my Sunday Bible study at church where we all sit around and discuss scripture and what we think it’s trying to tell us.
7. I have a love/hate affair with all things hair and makeup. I went to beauty school and was a licensed cosmetologist. I worked in a salon for six years and then went on to do medical transcription when I became burned out with the public and their demands that never seem to be satisfied. I love to play with different makeup and hair colors, but I hate the expense of it and feel like my money could be spent on much better things most of the time.
8. I became a stay-at-home mom when my son was born. I tried to go back to work doing hair when he was a little older, but that didn’t work out, and now my license is expired, so no more hair doing for me. Being a mom threw my whole world upside down and it was way harder than I anticipated.
9. I love people. I REALLY love people, even though I get frustrated with them (don’t we all?). They fascinate me, and I love to listen to their stories. I believe every person has a story and that they need to tell it. I believe every person is equal in God’s eyes and that He has a purpose for them.
10. I was sexually abused as child by my stepfather and I believe it’s important to tell people that. I am a living example of someone who has taken something bad, and instead of letting it ruin my life, I have made a decision to not be a victim. I also suffer from secondary infertility and growing up without a father. Guess what? I have a pretty great life, and so can anyone who experiences pain caused by another person or suffers from uncontrollable circumstances. The one area where I tend to lack compassion for people is when they use their circumstance as an excuse to keep living like they do. It’s an area I need to work on. It’s ironic how I can feel such compassion for people who can’t their crap together, yet I get super frustrated with them for using their circumstances as an excuse to not change and make their lives better one decision at a time. I guess when I look in the mirror at the end of the day, I do the same thing with my weight issues…
Well? Do you feel like you know me a little better now? I have never been one who does superficial relationships. I like raw, deep, and real people. People who say they aren’t perfect. People who learn from their mistakes and keep going. People who take a tragic experience and turn it into something good.
Is there something your friends would be surprised to know about you? I pray that if you’re hurting right now with your past, or decisions you have made or are making, that you reach out to someone who will listen and love you through it. I pray you open your heart to God to be with you on your journey through this life.
PS- My favorite color is green, my favorite holiday is Christmas, and my favorite meal is roast beef with carrots and potatoes all covered in BBQ sauce. I am obsessed with DIY projects and all things homesteading and hunting. I am a country girl and have anxiety when I have to drive in a city. 🙂